The University of South Alabama (USA) invites applications and nominations for the position of Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases. USA seeks an accomplished leader to advance the clinical, research, and teaching missions for the Division.
The Chief will be responsible for leading the direction of the Division of Infectious Diseases and will report directly to the Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine. Additionally, the Chief will:
- Shape the future of the division by working with faculty and staff to develop and articulate the divisional vision and goals
- Develop and enact a plan for divisional expansion and clinical program growth
- Develop novel and collaborative research programs, either basic or clinical, within the College of Medicine
- Help establish a new Infectious Disease Fellowship
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality training for Infectious Disease Fellows, Internal Medicine Residents, and Medical Students
- Formulate and communicate recommendations for hiring, tenure, promotion, and retention of a diverse set of talented faculty and divisional staff
- Maintain a divisional climate that is hospitable and encourages faculty and staff engagement, participation, collegiality, and innovation
- Explore the further growth and development of academic / community partnerships in the Gulf Coast region
The Applicant is required to possess an M.D. or D.O. and be eligible to be licensed to practice medicine in the State of Alabama. In addition, the Chief should have:
- Previous leadership and administrative experience in an academic medical setting
- A history of investigative research, either basic or clinical, with a demonstrated ability to obtain extramural funding
- An interest in developing an Infectious Disease Fellowship Program
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Academic credentials commensurate with appointment at the rank of associate or full professor
University of South Alabama Health helps people lead longer, better lives through its excellence in education, research, and medical care. With more than 3,600 employees, the USA Health network includes University Hospital, USA Children's & Women's Hospital, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, USA Physicians Group, and the USA College of Medicine. It is home to the region’s only Level 1 Trauma and Burn Center. Each year, our team of 180 physicians, 240 residents and fellows, 70 advanced practice providers, and 800 nurses handle some 185,000 clinic visits and 350,000 outpatient procedures. USA Health delivers 2,800 babies a year, more than any other regional hospital, and treats patients through some 60,000 emergency room visits annually.
As an academic health center, USA Health provides advanced and innovative patient care through its University hospitals and clinics, as well as first-class training experiences for the next generation of physicians and scientists. In doing so, USA Health has a significant positive impact on the quality of life for all residents across the Gulf Coast both directly and indirectly.
In addition to its role in medical education, the USA College of Medicine supports basic and translational research with an emphasis on cell biology; biochemistry; pharmacology; microbiology and immunology, cancer, and health disparities. The college is also home to the Laboratory of Infectious Diseases (LID), a modern, state-of-the-art facility with biosafety level 2 and 3 research space to support in vitro and in vivo work with emerging and re-emerging pathogens. Given the subtropical location of the college and the significant maritime trade in Mobile, current research programs at the LID are focused on arthropod-borne infectious diseases that are of considerable concern for the local community.
The University of South Alabama is a comprehensive, global research and teaching university that provides students a quality education in business, the liberal arts, education, engineering, computing, the sciences, and health care. USA’s commitment to student success includes incredible opportunities in nearly 100 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs. USA prepares students for careers in healthcare through the colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health Professions.
The Search Committee invites nominations, expressions of interest, or formal applications (letter of interest, comprehensive curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least five references) to be submitted to the search firm assisting USA. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. The Search Committee prefers that all nominations and applications be submitted to the search firm prior to January 31, 2019.
Jacob C. Anderson, Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
(770) 804-1996 x 111
The University of South Alabama is an EO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression), religion, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.